Monday, May 04, 2009

Hmmm. Who can I tick off this week?

How about my peeps. My gay peeps. I can’t help it. I just have to weigh in on this Miss California-is-a-raging-homophobe thing.

My guilty secret: I happen to agree with her. I know, take away my Rainbow VISA card and surgically remove the part of my brain that knows the secret handshake. While you're in there you might as well remove my gaydar. I've said it before: Why do we want to join a club that doesn't want us as members? Why don't we make our own club? Instead of fighting to join in an existing organization to grant us the rights that are granted to it, we should be fighting to make our own organization that grants us the same privileges. Do you see me trying to force my way into the NAACP? No, I'm not black. There are many organizations in this country that I don't qualify to belong to; marriage is just one of them. I don't attend a church; I have my own form of worship and a non-discriminatory God. Why should I inflict myself on people that have a problem with me?

I made these same statements when Dr. Laura got all her flack for calling gays a biological error. I agreed with her statement (still do). If the purpose of an organism is to procreate, then I am a biological dead end; an anomaly in the great biological scheme of things. It doesn't mean I'm bad, it just means I am different.

It's not going to be easy to get what we need to get some semblance of balance and equality. No fight like this ever will be, but it's worth the effort. Let's just channel the effort in the right direction.

No comments: