Saturday, May 02, 2009

Did someone say vacation?

We are getting ready to go on vacation. Yes, I said we as in the two of us. It's something we rarely do. We both vacation, but rarely go together. I've spent most of my vacation time the past year winging out to Oregon to deal with Dad's health. The missus likes Vegas (and so do I) but I really don't have the money to spend any time playing roulette unless I manage to make it out to some dive in the Fremont area where roulette is cheap and the hookers are cheaper. And the way the missus travels for a living makes staying at home the ideal vacation for her.

We're going to Europe. The missus has racked up enough airline miles to get us there for ticket taxes and security fees so the flights cost us under $200. There's enough hotel points to pay for almost every night we stay so all our cash can go to pump up the European economy. Hey, if gas was cheaper, we'd tour America.

Another reason we rarely vacation together is our collection of animals. It's tough to find someone who can take the time to baby our brood almost as well as we do, but my friend Bonnie fits the bill quite nicely and I know they are in good hands. I will miss them but I won't worry.

I am taking two full weeks of vacation. I've taken too many trips where I worked until midnight the night before I left and I decided that I'm 50 dammit. I don't have to do that anymore. I'm going to get ready for this trip with time on my hands and I'm not going back to work the day after I return. I'll have four days to recover from jet lag before I have to drag my ass back to work. I only have enough hours accrued to get paid for one week being as the rest of it went to Oregon several times but I can swing it now that I've broken free of my mountain of credit card debt. I have learned my lesson. If I can't pay cash for it, I don't get it. There's been lots of overtime at work with all the growth so I've built up a nice little stash for this trip. Note to self: Send Mother's Day card to mom before you leave.

Amsterdam & Paris look out! Juli's coming to town.

No comments: