Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rant of the day

iTunes and Google Updater Service.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I hate iTunes. Yes, I am most appreciative of the gift card I received and have bought my limit. But I'm not a fancy-schmancy iPod house. I'm a generic mp3 player house. OK, not that generic, it's a MuVo, but still, just an mp3 player. Not mp4, not some proprietary effing format. .mp3 and .wm* is what the MuVo plays. And all those stupid iTune purchases are in some hinky format and converting them to .mp3 is an effing nightmare. I'm done with my purchases but some evil person in my household is not so I am forced to convert their music two and three songs at a time since their CD drive is fubar. Last night iTunes made me upgrade to ver. 8x before it would let me burn .cda's to convert to .mp3's. Sheesh. And on top of that unless you are very, very careful it installs a bunch of other Apple crap that I don't want or need.

Google. I ran into the secret Google update whereby upgrading GoogleEarth installs the Google Updater Service. I don't want my effing software checking in with the mother ship every effing time it feels like it. I'm IT dammit. When I want my software updated I'll damn well tell it to update.

Fortunately iTunes will be done with soon, or someone may die a long and painful death and this page (http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/10/invisible-googleupdateexe.html) showed me how to disable effing Google. So there. Yeah, I work with this crap all day long, the last thing I want to do is struggle with technology when I come home at night.

2 comments:

The Junkie said...

And to the numb nuts who say g00gle updater "isn't invisible", it was an invisible install. At no time was I asked if I WANTED this service, it was forced upon me like a sweaty teenage boy at the drive-in movie. I didn't know I was in too deep until he was in too deep.

JP Harr said...

How 'bout Java updates with their little co-branded browser toolbar? Same here: I get home from dealing with that kind of helpdesk garbage and my significant other is mumbling about a new freakin' popup blocker that's keeping her from doing her work, and we're both thanking the kids for just clicking through anything without consulting with the in-house IT pro. None of it would be necessary if our friends didn't sneak in those little services.