Saturday, June 30, 2007

Gallstones it is!

So I'm having my gall bladder removed next week. I'm not scared. Maybe I should be, but I've researched it to death on the internet and the doctor answered all of my questions and gave me all the reasons why I'm not a candidate for other options that might be taken.

Maybe I should be scared. I've never had surgery. In spite of all the abuse I've heaped on my body over the years, there's never been anythng wrong enough to have to cut the flesh. I think the biggest worry is anesthesia, but I don't think there's too many drugs out there that'll kill me given my history of substance abuse. In fact they may need to really dope me up!

  • Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy) is done while the patient is under general anesthesia, unconscious and pain-free. It is most commonly performed through 4 small incisions, using a small video camera called a laparoscope.

  • In laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen is inflated with carbon dioxide to provide more space for the surgeon to work. The laparoscope is inserted through small incisions. The vessels and duct going to the gallbladder (cystic duct and artery) are identified, clipped, and cut. The gallbladder is removed and the incisions are closed.

  • In complicated cases, an open cholecystectomy may be performed. A larger incision is made just below the ribs on the right side of the abdomen. As with laparoscopic surgery, the vessels and ducts going to the gallbladder are identified, clipped, and cut. The gallbladder is removed. The incisions are closed.

  • Laparoscopic surgery often has a lower rate of complications, a shorter hospital stay, and better cosmetic results than the open procedure.

Maybe I should be scared. The doctor has a good track record. Maybe too good. If he answered my question honestly, and I have no reason to think he did not, he's only had one complication to his credit and that was the second worst thing that could go wrong and the outcome was still good. Does that mean he's that good or does that mean he's overdue for a loss?

Maybe I'll wake up the morning of the procedure terrified (provided I get to sleep the night before). Maybe I should try to get into that research study in Oregon where the doctor is removing the gallbladder endoscopically. I called and called on Friday. The line was busy-busy-busy-no answer, busy-busy-busy-no answer, busy-busy-busy-no answer, busy-busy-busy-no answer, busy-busy-busy-no answer. I just don't know. But I guess I'm going to find out...

No comments: